Ok... I've added a few things to my challenge.
1) Not only am I not going to buy any new clothes, but I am going to stop using my Target VISA. It's going in a drawer. You see, they have this thing where after you spend so much money on your Target VISA, they send you a 10% off card. I standardly buy all the necessities and then because I have 10% off add several other non-necessities to my cart. I pretty much nullify my 10% savings by all the extra things that found their way into my cart. Not only do I spend my 10% savings, but I usually end up with $100+ worth of items beyond what I actually went shopping for. BUT I did save $10 on that $100. Seems pretty miniscule when you look at it that way. So, Target VISA... you will spend the rest of your life in my drawer. Until, of course, I've paid my upcoming bill and then I'm going to cancel you and cut you into little pieces and throw you in the garbage.
2) Not only is the Target VISA going to be history, but I'm not going to step foot in a Target store for an entire year. *gasp* Yes, you heard me right. I'm not going to set foot in Target for an ENTIRE year. Before I can commit to this, however, I do in fact need to go buy more of those fancy hooks I bought for redoing our entryway coat rack system. But after that? I won't be setting foot in Target until January 1, 2009.
Thanks to all of you who have been skeptical of me. If you knew me, you would understand that this is exactly what I need to fuel the fire. If you think I can't, I will.
And if you're interested in this sort of thing, a few of us are co-authoring an exercise blog called On Your Marks... Get Set... Go!. Come on over and meet us.
9 comments:
Wow! I'm smiling over on this end of cyberspace! :) I've never tried giving something up for an entire year, but maybe I should give it a shot sometime! I'll have to check out the link you posted...just not right now. Company is coming!
Holy cow. I couldn't live if I didn't go to Target. Literally. It's where I grocery shop =) Yours must not be SUPER Target. So where will you shop for necessities?
@melissa - You'd be good at it, I think. If I remember right, you're a person with a lot of will power. That helps... a lot. I don't have will power, but I have a stubborn streak and usually when I set my mind to something... I do it.
@shannon - No Super Target here, but I think that would be even worse for me. I'll be shopping Fareway or Wal-Mart for necessities. I'm not NEAR as tempted to buy things I don't need in those two stores.
I really hate to point this out, but forgive me for noticing that Jan 1 2009 is not an entire year from now! Unless you haven't been there in awhile!
@cheri - I know... it's stretching the truth a little bit, but I've only been to Target twice so far this year, so I think I'm covered. ;)
I think I just had a "virtual" heart attack. Did you say "NO Target???" Gasp, choke, wheeze. Not that I don't believe you can do it....oh contraire...it's just that we don't have a Target (tears are welling up) - until our first one arrives this Oct. So, every trip I make 'to the lower 48' includes a trip to Target. I think I'm going to now go find my "virtual" AED machine. hahaha Good luck Lani!
Yeah, Target visa is bad because in order to get the 10% off, you have to put in on your card...I just want to get the ten percent off anyway even if I use debit!
Hmm, I gave up shoes for one whole year and I signed a contract w/ my husband over it! The funnient thing is that Moni and I were just talking about how we could just only shop at Target for one month and get everything we possibly needed there!
You KNOW what I HATE about Target?? They put their bikinis RIGHT OUT IN FRONT! Seriously, EVER time I walk into Target, I buy a new bikini. And ya know what else? They're already out. And further? I already bought a new one. IT'S FEBRUARY, MEAGNON!!! ARGH!!!
@julie - They know what they're doing... that Target VISA marketing team. We tried to shop this way with the idea we would go straight to the Customer Service counter and pay for what we had just put on their credit card in order to use the 10%, but I wasn't disciplined enough. Go figure. If you were, say a disciplined person, then this would probably be a fairly decent deal.
@meagnon - I always think I have to have a new swimsuit or two or three every year, too. I have the same problem with the V.S. catalogs. I almost cried when I threw the first one away. Ha.
Post a Comment