Who knew that when a little Mommy gremlin dropped this book off at my doorstep awhile back, it would completely fill its purpose on this the 29th day of March? Can we say "TGFM - thank goodness for mamaraderie" (as borrowed from Paula Spencer's book, Momfidence!)?
Spencer writes, "There are no instant replays. You will do the wrong thing. You will say the wrong thing. You will do the right thing but get the wrong result. And there's no going back. (Although who's to say what was right or wrong until it all works out just fine? Or doesn't.)"
And then the kicker, "Parenthood keeps on moving forward. All you can do is dust yourself off and keep moving with it."
And I cried when I read it, because it's exactly what I needed to hear today. I can't put my finger on exactly what went wrong about today. Was it the boys late night/early morning? Was it the lack of pre-made plans for the day? Lack of structure? The pile of laundry on my couch? The mess of books scattered across the floor? The dirty dishes in the sink? The breakfast to be made? The lunch to be made? The endless cycle of household chores? The buckets of water getting dumped from the bathtub onto the bathroom floor? A combination, I suppose. For future reference, if you hear your boys laughing... and I mean really laughing... not giggling, but out and out belly laughing at what one or the other is doing? You probably shouldn't wait to check it out. You should probably stop folding laundry immediately and go observe just outside the bathroom door.
The end result left me sitting on the couch crying (you're gonna think that's all I do! maybe it is...) after I'd put the boys down for their afternoon nap. I really felt (at that exact moment and without trying to sound too extreme) the boys would have been better off with a different mother. I am not cut out for this job. What was I thinking, thinking I could do this? Mainly because my overall feeling is that getting that angry with the boys (even if it's only once a month or once every six months or once a year) is inexcusable, immature, and damaging. For me its yelling, nothing physical, but I still feel like its damage that can't be undone. Yes, I usually end up apologizing to them once it's all blown over, but past the first apology, when does it become meaningless? When does it become a cycle you've given in to/something you allow to happen with the good intention of making up for it with a hug, kiss, "I love you.", and apology tacked on at the end?
I've got some work to do. Because, people, there are NO instant replays, and I don't want my boys remembering me as the mother screaming at them with a vein popping out of her forehead.
*Gets back up and brushes the dust off.*
Saturday, March 29, 2008
No Instant Replays
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Well, with 30 years of on-going experience with 12 kids I wish I could tell you the answer here, but I've still got a ways to go myself since my youngest is only 6. Sometimes ya make it, & sometimes ya break it!! I have learned the value of "don't get mad, take pictures" but sometimes that doesn't work either, & I blow. You will survive, & so will your kids. You're an incredible mom :*) Someday you will look back and laugh at some of the TERRIBLE things they did, and they will look back and laugh at the TERRIBLE way you freaked out. When you truly honestly love your kids, they know it, and THAT is what makes the difference.
You spoke of a "vein" popping..could that be the "V" shaped thing that coarses done the middle of my forehead with out any warning. It really only shows up with bad grades, phone ringing for the hundredeth time(in 1 minute),mud tracked in the house, looking under my kids beds(when they said their room was perfect), neighborhood kids ringing the doorbell during naps...need I go on. When I was a young mommy(still not to old) a lady told me that our kids need to see us lose our cool every now and then. Don't really know if that is true, but we all do. But I am going to live more with that thought.."no instant replay."
Sending warm fuzzies your way! It's not easy, is it, with little kids! I have felt the same way at times, that someone else could've done a MUCH better job than me. But! Our kids were given to us, and we WILL make it thru, muddlin' thru at times, and other times clear sailing. Don't think you are the only one that loses it, either. We've all been there. Hang in there, we've got some special days coming that always seem to help!
Oh, Lani - You don't know how thankful I was when I realized that the biggest part of God giving us children?... was to help US "grow up". Parenting is for us... we realize how human we are, how frail we are, how utterly and completely we need a mightier hand than our own to deal with raising our children. God wants us to seek Him in this way, just as we want our children to seek our help.
Another little aside. A young mom in our meeting said an incredible thing Sunday... to always treat our children as brothers and sisters in Christ. Because someday they will be just that... no longer the sweet, whiny, loving, screaming, sleeping, messing, adorable toddler to teen they are now, but someone we want to grow to depend on God for themself. That is what we need them to see through these years they are with us... where our help comes from so they'll know where to find help as they face their own struggles.
Hugs and prayers to you... You're doing great!
Thanks for what you posted! I find myself shedding a few tears too lately & the thought always comes to me that God never gives us anything He thinks we can't handle with His help. So...like has already been mentioned, I'm slowly learning that I need to lean more on Him through all this cuz I am completely & utterly exasperated some days!!! Hang in there! You're definitely not alone!!!
*crying again* Thanks to each of you for your mamaraderie. Now for a good night's sleep. ;)
I can't tell you how many times I have felt this way myself, and I am my worst critic. You are so not alone. ((hugs))
Post a Comment