Sunday, March 2, 2008

Runner's High

60 degrees today, people! *squeals whilst jumping up and down* Um, so about tomorrow. We drop back down into the 20s. But that's ok. Because today it was warm enough we spent a few hours outside again this afternoon after lunch. And the sun was shining. And the birds were singing. And the water from melting snow was a steady trickle to the sewer drains.

So, we chopped more ice. And we stomped in mud puddles. And Mommy was able to get the planters moved so the new vehicle could be parked INSIDE the garage. Which is big, because we're maybe supposed to get snow tonight and this means I don't have to scrape off ice or snow in the morning when we trek to the gym.

And then... this afternoon after the boys went down for their naps, Mommy went for a 3 mile run OUTSIDE... in the misty rain. I didn't know how much I was missing my outdoor running. But my runner's high is HIGH, I tell you. And there is nothing so invigorating as getting to run outside in 50 degrees and misty rain. I absolutely LOVE a good run in the rain. It's been the one good thing about Daddy being home sick... I can feel free to leave the house for a run when the boy's are napping. Speaking of Daddy being sick... he's off to the doctor in the morning. Just to make sure it's not strep.

So this little temperature reprieve we've had the last couple of days? I think it will be enough to get me through until the warmer weather comes to stay. And did I mention? I'm parking our vehicle in the garage again, everyone.

Updated on 3-3-08 to note: I know you all are thinking I have a fabulous looking forehead and all, but the real reason for taking the picture is to illustrate what it looks like when someone finishes a run in the rain. Click on the picture for an up-close-and-personal view.

11 comments:

Just Joey said...

Oh good, now I don't feel quite so guilty about how warm it was in Kansas! Sounds like you had a good weekend! Now tell your hubby to be well.

Melissa said...

Lucky you!!!! Oh, that runner's high! Seems it's even higher when running outside, doesn't it?! :) Unfortunately, our trail is absolute mush right now with all the melting going on. Bummer! Guess it'll be another month or so before I can join the ranks of outdoor runners again! :(

Mrs Starling said...

ummm yeah.....have to say I'll never understand the runner's high thing....running always makes me feel like I'm gonna die. But then maybe that's why I've packed on some love handles since Chloe was born. Trying to convince Aaron to install a swimming pool in the basement so I can swim laps for exercise... :)

Alison said...

GREAT to hear!!! Hope you have a fabulous week!

Lani said...

@jo - So glad you had such a good trip. Craig goes to the dr. today.

@melissa - Bummer. My shoes are in the wash as we speak... I hit a little mud, too, but not a whole trail of it to slog through.

@jami - So fun to see you and Chloe yesterday, my dear. If you get past the "feeling like you're gonna die" stage of running... that's when you start to understand the runner's high. ;) That said, I think my husband is inclined to agree with you. I know... Aaron could install one of those swimming pools that are like a treadmill... you swim against a current so you stay stationary. Ever seen those? I always have a hard time picturing myself being able to make that work for me, though. Maybe it's easier than it looks.

@alison - Thanks, Alison. You, too. :)

Huisman5 said...

Hi Lani!
Loved reading about your runners high! Hopefully I'll get to that point, too! I headed to the Y this morning to see how far I could go. The new shoes worked out good!

Lani said...

You will. Glad you're liking the new shoes. I'll be posting an "easing into running" plan for everyone soon and maybe do a routine to get everyone who is interested ready to run or walk a 5k sometime this year. If you run an extra .1 or .2 miles on the treadmill every other time you run, you'll be there in no time!

Ethel said...

is your hair looking a bit red? did you ...do something to it? Lani, is your hair currently red??

Rebekah said...

OH, I'm so jealous!!! We didn't quite get that warm here; and anyway, I don't think I could have run yesterday with my back and neck the way they were. Argh. Feeling better after I got in with the chiro.

Two weekends we were up in Madison and everyone was out running and I wanted to just hop out of the van and go myself!

Ah to the effects of March!! :)

Lani said...

Well, Ethel, now that you mention it, it is looking reddish. But not by my hand... if anything I've been trying to get it to look more blonde. But back to the red in my hair... does this mean I maybe COULD pull of a little red hair color in my hair without my mom noticing? ;)

Jessica said...

I was wondering how the run went. My went something like this. Run, tread very lightly, run, tread very lightly....