Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Because I'm Impatient

Thanks to all of you for your opinions and suggestions. Because I'm impatient, I just went ahead and painted the lower strip the mustard yellow. I think you're all right about forgetting the blue and incorporating it in a rug or picture rather than in paint (if that's what I want to do). I also think you're right about keeping the trim white (I'm kinda thinking I maybe should have kept the lower strip white like you suggested, Mrs. J... oh well...), so for now it looks something like this:



Then I had Craig hang up the Fire Department cupboard that hides our fire extinguisher. I'm not sure I'm happy with it hanging there, but for now, it gets it off my cookbook bookshelf where it was "hanging out" until I could find a better spot for it. The door will be painted dark brown at a later date... I want someone to do it who can do it with a spray painter - I think it will look better. Coats (minus our winter ones which are getting packed away... yay!) will get hung back up tomorrow. I'll have Craig paint the trim white at a later date - the same time he tackles the white trim project in the downstairs bathroom and hallway I just painted brown. If all goes well, tomorrow will be my day to clean for company.

10 comments:

Alison said...

Great Job! I like it!

The J's said...

It looks great!

Just Joey said...

ooo, I LIKE the mustard and brown, but this seems so unlike you! I'm used to the calypso colors, and true confessions, *I* liked the green outside the boys' room. ;-) So....are you heading into a new phase of life? new colors? I am trying to move to a more sleek look. I'm hoping it will be less messy and make me more structured. :-) I need something...omg, I can't believe I am having company tomorrow!

Darcie said...

You did a great job Lani! Nothing like a fresh coat of paint to lift ones spirit. hum.....wonder what I could paint???

Lani said...

@alison - I also appreciated your first comment and could totally relate. ;) I agree, sometimes its the only way things get done... I just have to dig in whenever. Ha.

@maxine - For sure, it looks better than it did.

@jo - I know... I don't think I'm done with bright colors, but I do like these colors, too. I've been waiting a long time to be inspired with something to paint in these areas (11 years), so I guess it's about time. Ha. I know... I've got to get busy with getting ready for company, too.

@darci - And the nice thing is paint is the cheapest way to redecorate. ;)

Ethel said...

i too save cleaning for the last minute..why is that? i like it. i think i like the white around the door now..so change what i said before on that one. good job and i like the thing on the wall..lookin good , kid!

All American Family said...

Looks GRRRREAT!! I got so inspired by your project I started pulling down wall paper in the master bathroom last night!! I have loathed that stuff since we moved in (only 5 mo. ago) and finally decided to do something about it. It was pink/blue floral from 1980 - and put in by 90 yr old couple. Great mental picture hugh! We (I) are going to hand texture the walls then paint them this weekend. Great way to spend your 5th wedding anniversary don't you think. ;) My color isn't as bold as yours though!! I LOVE bold colors but David says NOOOO!!! Being the obediant little wife I am I just say "OK honey". ha ha hee hee ho ho!!! Now if we could just get rid of the blue (1980 shade) bathtub and shower tile! Thanks for the inspiration! (Though David's not to thankful) ;)

Alison said...

Hee hee! Love Kristen's comment too!
Our poor husbands work so hard every day and then they come home to us! Their wives who are going crazy taking care of kids and who are tired of 80's wallpaper and built-in crooked desks. "Honey, somethings GOT to be done about this and I just started it for you..."

Sorry about my 'deleted comment'. Sometimes I write to many details and embarrass myself! (rolling eyes)

Frandsen family said...

I like Lani but I would keep the door white too... just me .. I will soon have pics up for my closet that I got an organizer for! My whole closet was all over the room for almost 2 wks ... got home early today and I told Daryl I needed it done! It is possible ... just possible I have too much stuff! :) lv ya Carmen

Lani said...

@ethel - Ah man... you said "lookin' good kid" and that totally made me nostalgic for my Grandpa. He used to say that all the time.

@kristen - How's the wallpaper project going? You'll have to give me some tips. Sorry, David. ;) If I were you, Kristen, I'd blame it on "nesting". Ha.

@alison - I think I've got you beat on revealing too many details and embarrassing myself. ;) But you're definitely on to something. Starting something like this is the ONLY way I can motivate my husband to get going on something. He is NOT a handyman, and he's the first to admit it.

@carmen - Hmmm... never thought of keeping the door white. That would save us some $$$. If I kept the door white, then maybe I should paint the trim around the outside brown and also the trim around the window brown, too. What do you think?