Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Learning While We Play

Mom made this giraffe clothes horse for us when we were kids. My brother and I used to LOVE to climb on it and ride it when it was housed in the room we shared growing up. Not exactly what she had in mind, I'm sure. I was happy it was still around to include when I started putting my own baby's room together before Kekoa was born four years ago.

Just a few minutes before this picture was taken, I was ordered to walk him down the hall with that blue strappy thing in his hands around his neck as a leash - he was a puppy and barked all the way to his room. (Yes, I know this has potential choking hazard written all over it. We sat down and had a lesson/talked about not putting things around his neck after this little escapade.) That noted, I'm happy to see him role playing and using his imagination. I'm pretty sure this is normal, but if not, that wouldn't be a big surprise - his parents aren't normal.

And today, as we lay down for our afternoon nap, he was talking to himself. "Mom-E. Dad-E. K-co-ah. (pausing) I'm an ah. " And then he looked at me and included me in his conversation, "Jord-N. Jordan's an N. Gray-son. Grayson's an N. Mom-E. You're an E. Dad-E. Daddy's an E. Lawt-N. Lawton's an N. Hunt-ER. Hunter's an ER. Gav-N. Gavyn's an N." So he's figuring out syllables and he's starting to get the concept of letters making words and sounds.

It truly has been fascinating for me to watch him play and learn lately. And I'm not doing a thing. Now if only potty training were so easy.

5 comments:

Wrena said...

THAT WOULD BE - IS GREAT TO HEAR!

All American Family said...

How cool is that...to experience watching your baby learn. I love to read your blog...I'm learning about the things I have to look forward to with my own little one(s).

Just Joey said...

Wow, I had first graders who couldn't hear the ending sounds of words, even after weeks of instruction! Maybe he is very sensitive to sound, but not so sensitive to bodily signals, like potty-ing and upchucking! Isn't it wonderful how every person is unique, even little people!

Anonymous said...

Language and the learning thereof is a beautiful thing... and music to a writer mother's ears!

Chris N Kait said...

The giraffe is adorable! Thanks for sharing the history behind it- that's pretty neat! :) It's fun to hear the cute little stories about how your kiddos are learning! :)